We were off to Toronto yesterday because there was a workshop for physiotherapists that I wanted to check out. Matthew came along being the good husband that he is (-: and while I was at the workshop he said he had a great day. When I came out from the workshop he had a bunch of Ethiopian goodies to show me. I guess he found an Ethiopian spice store and bought a bunch of things including: fenugreek (a spice used commonly), teff (used to make injera), green coffee beans from the Harar region, jebana (a traditional coffee pot) and even some injera (Ethiopian bread) that they told him we could keep in the freezer until we are ready to use it. He said the ladies at the shop were really nice, made coffee for him and they were telling him how they are in the midst of putting an Ethiopian cookbook together as well. He said the older lady had a tattoo of a cross on her forehead. I have seen this a few times now in different pictures as well and I would like to learn more about it. It seems as though it may be a cultural/religious thing, does anyone know more about this?
After he picked me up we checked out another Ethiopian restaurant for dinner together and picked up an Ethiopian cookbook called "recipe of love".
If anyone is interested in getting that cookbook it costs $30 (I think $10 shipping if you can't make it to Toronto) and the website is.
here: http://www.recipeoflove.com/default.asp
here: http://www.recipeoflove.com/default.asp
It looks like a good book, with lots of pictures. It has a recipe for injera (with barley flower as a substitute for Teff), doro wat and a variety of vegie, beef and chicken recipes. If anyone is thinking of getting it and wonders if it has a recipe for their favourite dish feel free to leave me a comment and I will check in the book for you and let you know. Has anyone been brave enough to order kitfo at a restaurant yet?? I am just curious if anyone has liked it. It is a raw beef dish. I tend to like my meat well cooked so I have chickened out on this one, but maybe someday I will feel adventurous and give it a try.

recipe of love
stuff from the spice shop
the jebana (coffee pot) for Matthew to brew his Buna (coffee) in...
We also got this book in the mail on Friday called "E is for Ethiopia". It is an "A to Z" book for kids, with each letter showing something from Ethiopia. http://members.shaw.ca/eisforethiopia/
Proceeds from the book purchase go to providing books for kids in Ethiopia which is cool.
The pictures below are from the interenet but I wanted to show what some of the foods I was talking about look like for people reading my blog who have not yet had Ethiopian food.
the injera is the bread under the food and rolled up on the sides. You use it in place of a fork when eating.
doro wat (my favourite Ethiopian dish so far). Usually it has a nice piece of chicken in it where the meat is almost falling off the bone. The white thing is a boiled egg. It has a really nice flavour to it.




5 comments:
Great post! Thanks for sharing.
Which restaurant did you go to? I've been to this one which is very good. http://www.lalibelaethiopianrestaurant.com/
I'd be interested to know where the spice store is that your husband went to.
Thanks!
We went to Queen of Sheba Restaurant 1198 Bloor St. W and it was very good. The cookbook was sold at Addis Ababa restaurant, and actually I wish we had gone there for dinner just because the lady running it seemed very friendly (we went to pick up the cookbook after eating at the other place).
The spice shop is at 160 Baldwin St.(416) 598-3014
My husband said they had lots of those little coffee pots to choose from and we didn't get one but he said they had the basket-weaved things you put your injera in (I'm not sure what they are called).
Shannon (-:
wow...good job Matthew on all the great Ethiopian finds.
I love the coffee pot!!!
Mmmmmm...I had Ethiopian on Friday night....sooooooo good :)
Rana
I have both those books too! Yet, to try the cooking out though...
Rhonda
No problem about adding our blog - the more we can share with others the better.
Still waiting for our file to travel. Any luck with you?
Laura
Post a Comment