Well my husband is an elementary school teacher, and this past year some of the kids in his school have been participating in a pen pal exchange through Canadian Humanitarian with some kids in Ethiopia. The program they have been participating in is called SUN and stands for “Students Uniting Nations”.
So over the course of the year they exchanged letters and photos back and forth and it was a great experience!. I think the best thing about it is that the kids here in Ontario learned that they are really not all that different from the kids in Africa. Fundraising was not a mandatory component of the program but my husband asked the kids if they would be interested in trying to raise some money for their new friends and they were. The goal was to raise $300.00 and as incentive the school’s principal offered to “kiss a pig” if they were successful. Well they managed to raise $654.00 !! We are so excited and with the famine in Ethiopia Canadian Humanitarian has decided to put the money towards food.
The local newspaper took a photo and was going to do a write up in the paper for this Thursday. If I get a copy I will post it as well.
The principal and the kiss

Some of our pen pals

Some stuff we sent from the kids here to Ethiopia - Don't worry Tilly our cat didn't get packed in the box with the stuff. Although, apparently she wants to go to Ethiopia just as much as I do.

Some of the kids with the books we sent

With the boards we sent




6 comments:
What an awesome project for the kids. I love it that they had a choice if they wanted to fundraise or not and then raised more than double the goal! I'm sure they learned a lot and had fun at the same time. Way to go!
k
SOOOO great to see this !!!
The children from EThiopia in your photos are children we met and played and had soo much fun with when we were in Ethiopia !!!
SOOO great to see them with the things you sent huh....
Hopefully you will get to spend some time with them when you are in Ethiopia as they are all wonderful children !
Lisa
That's really neat Shannon! I love all the pictures of the kids holding the stuff that was sent. And great job on the fundraising!
Ricki
I just love this!! What a great project!
Great job!! It's so cool to see some more pictures of the kids we met while with CH last fall!
Rhonda
Thanks everyone for the nice posts!
That is neat that some of you have met these kids before!!
Post a Comment