I had seen this video posted on some other blogs a while back and today I was thinking about it and wanted to add it to mine as well. I know some of the other bloggers out there who have been to Africa had made the comment that it rang true to their feelings after leaving and coming back home. I really love this video and song and find it very moving.
Although I have not yet been to Africa myself, I have noticed an interesting trend listening and reading about other peoples experiences. It seems that when people go visit and volunteer in poor areas they seem to gain as much from the experience as what they are able to give while they are there. Living in North America and having so much monetary wealth I think we often make the mistake of thinking that we are the lucky ones. I really believe that we could stand to learn a lot about strength of character, resiliency, courage, sense of community, and what it really means to be happy from the people in the world who have very little. Of course we are lucky in that we have clean water, food, health care, education and I think everyone in the world deserves those things and we should fight for that. But how many people here have all of those things and are still unhappy at the end of the week because their T.V doesn’t have a big enough screen, or their not wearing this season’s latest fashion. Our consumer culture has really shifted our focus away from the things that really matter in life (in my opinion anyways), and sometimes it is a constant struggle to try to keep your head in the right place.
I seriously think sometimes that we in the Western world are so unhappy...it seems that the major goals in life are to gain more "things" and once we have more things...well, guess what...we aren't happy and so think if only I had even more "things" everything would be o.k. I have travelled to many poverty stricken countries and the one thing I always see is that people are happy - even if they don't have anything at all - they are happy, grateful and thankful for life.
We have created this blog for our friends, family, and others interested in adoption. We invite you to follow our journey to Ethiopia where we will go from being a couple to a family of three!
shmcnaughton@hotmail.com
2 comments:
I seriously think sometimes that we in the Western world are so unhappy...it seems that the major goals in life are to gain more "things" and once we have more things...well, guess what...we aren't happy and so think if only I had even more "things" everything would be o.k. I have travelled to many poverty stricken countries and the one thing I always see is that people are happy - even if they don't have anything at all - they are happy, grateful and thankful for life.
It is an eye opener to be sure.
Rana
Beautiful song and touching video footage. It moved me to tears...as usual.
Post a Comment