
Why is it that I grew up thinking of Africa as one large land mass where everything and everyone is one and the same? I don’t think there are any other continents in the world that I know so little about. Now that I am trying to learn more I am amazed at the number of countries that I have never even heard of and the amount of diversity amongst them. Wow, what amazing culture, food, religion, dance, and language! If it wasn’t for embarking on this process I’m not sure I would have ever known just how different and unique each country is. Why didn’t I learn even a fraction of this growing up? Why don’t we ever really hear about African news or history? Is Africa a forgotten part of the world to us North Americans? Is this a common experience or is this just me growing up in a bubble?
I don’t know the answers, but what I do know is that I am so excited to start to discover what seems like the tip of an iceberg of cultural diversity.
First task, to learn my African geography! This is a fun online game Matthew found that will help.
Check it out if you too feel like you missed out: Click here for the Map Game.
I don’t know the answers, but what I do know is that I am so excited to start to discover what seems like the tip of an iceberg of cultural diversity.
First task, to learn my African geography! This is a fun online game Matthew found that will help.
Check it out if you too feel like you missed out: Click here for the Map Game.




8 comments:
great game... I am a total geography geek so I like those. Here's another one for you... http://mytruepeeps.com/africa.html
And no you are not alone in not having learned African geography (or history, or anything) in school. Europe and North America was all we ever got.
june
That is a fun game!!
I think you should issue a challenge and make us compete against one another! heehee
Great idea Tanya!!
Thanks June,
Great website!! I will show my husband and see how many he can get!!
First try 143 seconds...fun game thanks for sharing!!
Louise
PS there is another game (I think it was posted on CAFAC board a long time ago) where you had to try to name as many African Countries as you could.
Louise
I must admit that I knew very little about Africa up until the last two years. Now I am learning so much, mostly due to the fact that we have been studying it with the kids for homeschooling so as I have to teach it to them, I have been learning. One of the things they have been doing is filling out a country fact sheet on every country within Africa and two of the blanks are life expectancy and literacy rate. Those are such an eye-opener in comparison to Canada's and even when you compare different countries within Africa. One of these days, I will post on my blog which curriculum and resources we have used in case others want to know. It's been so interesting!
P.S. Cool game! When we are done our Africa studies, I am going to have my kids see what their best times are!
This was super fun! Thanks!
Nicky
Post a Comment