
So here is my first doll purchase. As a perent to be I am already starting to feel very aware and concerned about how the outside world will influence my child. One of the first things I noticed in the store was that there were very few black dolls to choose from, and many of the ones that were on the shelf were tucked in at the back behind other white doll boxes.
.
I also noticed that the girl dolls for the most part had pink outfits and long hair and the boy dolls had blue outfits and short hair. So there I was thinking – here is the message that society seems to want to send to my children – boys like blue, girls like pink and black is second best, but what message do I want them to get?
.
I want my son or daughter to celebrate diversity and feel proud of who they are. If we have a boy I want him to know that it is good to be nurturing and caring and it is ok to play with a doll in pink. So I have a plan - and that is to get my litle boy a pink doll with long hair, and if we have a girl, to buy her some little blue trucks (to counter balance the stereotypes other people will try to send). But, since we don’t know the sex of our baby, and since I needed a little retail therapy to help with all of this waiting, I ended up going with a black doll with a white outfit. Am I over thinking the whole thing? Or, maybe as a parent you can never think too much about these types of things.
.
When I got home I tried to research a little more and came accross this interesting article:
I want my son or daughter to celebrate diversity and feel proud of who they are. If we have a boy I want him to know that it is good to be nurturing and caring and it is ok to play with a doll in pink. So I have a plan - and that is to get my litle boy a pink doll with long hair, and if we have a girl, to buy her some little blue trucks (to counter balance the stereotypes other people will try to send). But, since we don’t know the sex of our baby, and since I needed a little retail therapy to help with all of this waiting, I ended up going with a black doll with a white outfit. Am I over thinking the whole thing? Or, maybe as a parent you can never think too much about these types of things.
.
When I got home I tried to research a little more and came accross this interesting article:
In the article 21 black children in the states were asked to choose between a white and a black doll, and 15 of them choose the white doll saying it was “pretty” and “nicer” than the black doll.
Some people have responded by saying this is a reflection of the subtle messages we are sending our children about race. In another article I read one mother noted "I'm not happy about it, but I'm not shocked. My daughter goes to a predominantly white school and a lot of her friends are white, and that's what she sees around her in the media and so on. And, when we go shopping, for example, there are no positive images of people like her." Her sentiments were echoed by husband Clayton: "If there were more positive black images and more black teachers in schools, then life might change for our little kids, but what they see is whites on TV doing well and black people doing bad."
Some people have responded by saying this is a reflection of the subtle messages we are sending our children about race. In another article I read one mother noted "I'm not happy about it, but I'm not shocked. My daughter goes to a predominantly white school and a lot of her friends are white, and that's what she sees around her in the media and so on. And, when we go shopping, for example, there are no positive images of people like her." Her sentiments were echoed by husband Clayton: "If there were more positive black images and more black teachers in schools, then life might change for our little kids, but what they see is whites on TV doing well and black people doing bad."
.
As white parents adopting a black child I think it is really important that we think about what the outside world is telling our child. We, and our other family members, will not be able to act as the positive black role models our child needs and because of that we need to put extra effort into making sure we find ways to compensate. Especially since the media and outside world doesn't always seem to do a great job at this.




10 comments:
I saw something like this on (I think) Oprah a while back, that even within the black community, there is this idea that the lighter your skin, the prettier and nicer you are. Brutal! At my sister's school, there are many very dark kids from the Sudan, and even amongst themselves they are at each other, calling the darkest girls derogatory names.
On the doll front, there are some great online sites and if you have access to teacher's catalogues, there are some beautifully realistic baby dolls (of various races). It is a challenge for sure. I started buying my boy PlayMobil people of different races, to get him used to the idea that people come in many colors.
It is something that definitely take a conscious effort -- undoing or countering the messages or kids get from society and the media.
Thanks Melissa for the informative comment. My hubby works as a teacher, do you know what these websites are? I am going to ask him as well.
Oh so true. I wanted to find black babies for my girls for Christmas last year and I had the hardest time finding them. I ended up buying them in the states. What a shame.
k
Great post Shannon! It is true that black families and children are not represented well in the media. I hope that will change in the future but I think we may have to be the catalyst for this change.
Cute baby doll!!! Is that a cabbage patch?
So true - we got Sara a black baby for her birthday in June (picture is on my blog) - problem is that my 4-year-old baby is already succumbing to media and societal pressures - she specifically requested a "baby girl with pink". And on a related subject - (to back up first - I just purchased my first pair of LuLu's recently - talk about succumbing to pressure), yesturday Sara asked me "Mommy, what are you wearing?" I replied "pants??" She says "No, you are wearing LuLu's!" - she's FOUR! OMG, I felt like a terrible role model in that moment.
Laura
Good choice, I love cabbage patch dolls. It's tricky when you walk in the stores and what do we see...all white dolls. I think we ALL need to make conscious decisions in the things we buy for our children and what we present in their world to them.
Black dolls, asian dolls, etc... We need to represent all the nations of the world!
Rhonda
Thanks for the great comments girls! Yep it is a cabbage patch doll. I got it at Walmart which I am kicking myself for because one of my resolutions is to stay away from the corporate monster as much as possible. I want to teach my kids someday to be informed consumers.
Rhonda you made mention of asian dolls.Youu know what, that made me think, I did not see one single asian looking doll in the store. What a shame.
Shannon
On online store with dolls of many races and dolls with wheelchairs even is at this URL: http://www.pattycakedoll.com/site/480019/page/551990 The shipping runs at about $18 on average, according to their site, and all prices are in USD.
In Canada, the Education Station website http://www.educationstation.ca/theview.php?nextpage=60&searchid=19&prodtable=product_types also has dolls, and the shipping (if I remember correctly) is pretty fair. Or they has store locations and you could probably asked them to bring in what you want and save yourself the shipping cost.
The fact that you are truly conscientious & concerned about what your child will be exposed to is already an advantage for him/her.
The doll is gorgeous. She's ready to hug her new friend :-) I had a blogging buddy make me a black Waldorf girl doll - it should be in the mail and I'll post pics when it arrives.
Retail therapy is all good! I love the doll! My mom has always wanted a black doll - since she was a little girl - and so I am going to leave the doll purchasing up to her :)
Post a Comment