So we have almost made it through the 30 hrs - few. When we got home from work we agreed that it wasn't that bad while we were keeping busy. However, there was a quick deterioration with Matthew tonight. Shortly after getting home he became crazy and he would not stop talking about food (this was not helping me one bit). He talked about food non-stop all night! Saying things like:
"what if I have one trisket, do you think that is against the rules?"...hmmmm "ah, yep Matthew that is food".
or, "pizza, swiss chalet quarter chicken dinner with sauce, Indian naan bread, soda crackers, roast beef, cheese, tandori chicken X 100 other random things" then he would throw his head in his hands and fake cry.
then at 8pm he said something to the effect of "my life is over, there is nothing for me to do, I'm going to bed" and off he went.
I'm not going to lie, I feel pretty darn hungry as well. All joking aside (and the joking was to try to help us deal with the stress of feeling hungry), this really has helped to put into perspective again how much we take having quick access to food for granted. It has unmasked a learned behaviour - when we feel hungry an impulse kicks in that tells us there is something we can eat at arms reach. Then on the way to the fridge we have to remind ourselves that "no" not tonight. I can't imagine what it would be like growing up learning that food is not always available, not always healthy and safe to eat, and not always easy to access. Would your body still crave it or would it to some extent give up?
The other thing I noticed was how important drinking becomes when you are not eating. I couldn't stop thinking about drinking all day. But many people who don't have food, also don't have access to clean water.
Then to think of all the food that is wasted and thrown out in this country, the food fights kids have in school, the overeating - this is insane!!. This activity has reminded us to be more respectful of food. Our hearts go out to the people living in the midst of the food crisis in Ethiopia, what a crazy world it is that we live in!
There’s something about Spring…
1 month ago




4 comments:
I had done a 30 Hour Famine in high school but had forgotten all about it until I read your post. It is so true how for granted we take it that we can just reach out and grab some food whenever we want to. I am also aware of how often we say things like "I'm hungry" or even "I'm starving" or "I'm dying of hunger" when really none of those statements are ever really actually true.
Congratulations to you both.
Wow, I am so impresed with your decision to do this and the fact that you REALLY DID IT!!! Good for you guys. What a great way to put things into perspective.
When I think of all the food I've had since you started...Quite remarkable. I hadn't thought about the drinking aspect but it sure makes sense. Thanks for opening my eyes a little more.
Post a Comment