Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Oct 16th - 30 Hour Thanksgiving Famine


This Thursday Matthew and I are going to go without food for 30 hours to:

-Celebrate World Food Day Oct 16th (a worldwide event designed to increase awareness - around action to alleviate hunger).

-Celebrate Blog Action day Oct 15th (where everyone with a blog is encouraged to blog about poverty that day and do something to raise awareness)

-Celebrate Thanksgiving Day in a different way. It was great sharing time with family over the weekend but, after eating a BIG turkey dinner and having a family BBQ, we wondered if there may be another way to ``say thanks`` that also respectfully acknowledges the other people in the world who didn’t have a big meal to sit down to. Sometimes having less of something makes you appreciate it more then when you are overindulging in it.

Back when we were in University my hubby and I participated in a 24 hour famine. At the time we thought – ``24hrs can’t be that bad``…and we were surprised a LOT by how hungry we felt and how difficult it was. Going through the day feeling hungry made for a good opportunity to reflect on our eating habits, and to try to imagine what it must feel like being one of the millions of people in the world with poor access to food. At the time we talked about how it would be a good thing to do on a yearly basis, even if we didn’t fundraise, to raise our own self awareness. However, years passed and we never did it again. I feel a bit ashamed after overeating this weekend – and this is an attempt to put things back into perspective.

So from 9 pm Wed night until Friday morning we will not have anything to eat. I wonder how difficult we will find it this time? I will keep you posted...
.
If anyone wants to join in and do this with us just let me know!

6 comments:

Janice said...

Great idea! I was feeling rather like a glutton myself this weekend. We live such idulgent lives when it comes to food. I will be thinking of you and if I decided to join you I will let you know.

The Turgeon Expansion said...

Good luck to both of you! I'm sure you'll pull it off and have a greater awareness for those who don't have food available to them all the time.

Natalie and Chris said...

Good luck to you both. What you are doing is truly amazing.

Alicia said...

I would truly like to join you and I'm almost ashamed to tell you why I'm going to. I have the ability to go that long without eating (recovering anorexic) but I get really angry if I have an empty stomach and that's not fair to Sofia...
I'll be thinking of you! GOOD JOB Warren family!

Cara said...

What a great idea. You guys are inspiring. I will think good thoughts for you. I am not sure I could do what you're doing. I just updated my food blog...so maybe don't visit until you've had your Friday meal ;-)

The Warren Family said...

Thanks for all of the supportive comments!! If I think about food I will think of you guys and remind myself to hang in there.