
Some of you may have come across this website before, but I thought I would share it for those who have not. It is called the "Adoption clubhouse" and it is a site for kids. It has book reviews, questions/answers for kids, fun stuff like colouring pages or a list of famous people who were adopted. It also had a list of annoying questions adopted kids might be asked and suggestions for how to deal with them etc...
My mom and I went tonight to the London library to see Paulette Pelletier-Kelly speak about her trip to Uganda, South Africa and Swaziland. Paulette was one of 12 grandmothers from seven provinces chosen through the Stephen Lewis Foundation to visit Africa and to see the work being done by them. It was really interesting listening to her stories, and I think it is such a great thing that Steven Lewis has done - to mobilize the grannies here for their "sisters" in Africa..
"An estimated 13 million children have been orphaned by AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa, and it’s the grandmothers of the country who have stepped up to care for them. After burying their own children, these women take in their grandchildren and attempt to feed and clothe them while continuing to work. In their 50s, 60s and even 70s, they become parents again. And not only to their own family, but to their neighbour’s orphaned kids as well. Some grandmothers take care of up to 20 children. One in particular has been known to care for 28."
.
If you know of a granny who is interested in joining a group in her area tell her to visit this website for more details: http://www.grandmotherscampaign.org/




5 comments:
Cute comic strip! I've made note of the Adoption Clubhouse website. What a great resource for when our kids are a little older. Thanks for posting that.
k
Adoption clubhouse - what a great find and a great idea. I can't wait to check it out.
Grandmother's helping grandmother's is tough to get my head around. It's a great campaign but it's so sad that the parents of these children are gone and only the grandmother's are left.
I've heard about that grandmother group. Very interesting talk, I'm sure. That was a huge reality when we were in E...most of the kids being looked after by grandparents...
Thanks for sharing this....
LOVE LOVE LOVE the kids website - thanks for sharing.
Laura
Post a Comment