This is a short documentary that talks about orphaned children in Ethiopia and HIV/AIDS. If anyone has read "There is No Me Without You" by Melissa Fay Greene you will recognize Haregewoin Teferra talking in this video (I will post about this great book sometime soon).
A few minutes into the video Haregewoin says something I think is really profound, “no one can live for himself alone, we live for others”. She says this because she realizes that she needs the orphans she is caring for just as much as they need her. Caring and living for them helped her find her own purpose.
Going through my own day to day life, I know there have been moments when time stops and for a second and I wonder, what am I here for and what is my purpose in this world? I think Haregewoin has really hit the nail on the head with this statement. Some people might determine how successful they are in their lifetime by how much money they have in the bank, how big their house is, and how many nice things they have (sometimes I think this is our North American way of thinking about things and it is easy to get caught up in it). But we really find our purpose and become successful when we live our lives for other people.
The ladies in this video have devoted themselves to the orphans in Ethiopia and are living this example, and in my opinion others like Mother Theresa have as well. Although I know I will never come anywhere close to the greatness of these women, I think her saying this in the video was a good reminder for me today to think about where my focus should be.
There’s something about Spring…
1 month ago




5 comments:
That was such an amazing book! A beautiful & true statement by Hagegewain as well :)
I love this book. When we were in Ethiopia in October we were so blessed to be able to meet her and go to her orphanges. Truly an amazing, beautiful woman!
Rhonda
I was so looking forward to seeing the video clip. How come it's not available anymore? I loved that book and so did my husband. I agree whole heartedly with your post about helping others. I'm not much of a blogger but you can check mine out at janiceandthomas.blogspot.com
Janice
Thanks for the posts! I hope Matthew and I get a chance to meet her when we travel as well.
Me again....I was able to see the video clip today - can't wait to share it with others. It must have been a problem on my computer.
I was so happy to see your info on GiGi. One of her songs is my favourite ethiopian song but I had no idea who sang it and now I do.
Yes, please feel free to add me to your list of bloggers.
Post a Comment