Saturday, March 29, 2008

Transracial adoption - Our feelings

When my husband and I decided to adopt we wondered what kind of reaction we would get from people. With deciding to adopt a child from Ethiopia, would people question our ability to parent a child of another race and our motives? To some extent I expected that people might. I think anytime you decide to do something “off the beaten path” people are not always sure what to think.
Matthew and I have spent the better part of a year trying to decide if this would be the right choice for our family and more importantly for the child we plan to adopt. Given how much time we have spent trying to answer all of the difficult questions we have had for ourselves, I find it very insulting when someone makes a quick split second judgement of us and our decision to adopt from Africa.
When Matthew went to his family doctor a few weeks back to get the required “adoption medical”, his doctor asked him where we were adopting from. Matthew replied by saying “Ethiopia”, to which the Dr’s response was “ahhh you want to be like Angelina Jolie”. How frustrating I find this response! How can someone judge your motives on such an important matter in a few mere seconds?

I want to share my feelings (sorry I need to vent).

-Statistics vary depending on the source but many estimates put the number of orphans in Sub-Saharan Africa in the millions. In 2006, only 61 children were adopted from Ethiopia into Canadian families. This would only account for about one one-hundred thousandth of the orphaned children, which is anything but a trend.

-International adoption is not a trend; it is a way to build a family. If celebrity adoptions draw attention to this then I applaud them.

-Making adoption seem like a trend is hurtful to the families who are investing so much time, energy, money, emotion, thought and research into the process. It is hurtful to the children whose life story is being diminished by the comment. Lastly, it is hurtful to the agencies and governments who work hard on behalf of these children to find them homes.

-For those people who are opposed to transracial adoption, you just can’t say that it is wrong without having ideas about what might be better for these children. We agree that the best thing for these children is to stay with their birth parents. If that is not possible, the next best thing would be to live with extended family, or to be adopted within their own birth country. International adoption should be a last resort, but unfortunately millions of children in the world are at their “last resort”. Historically in Africa, orphans were cared for by their extended families but with the HIV/AIDS pandemic and poverty there are not always enough adults to go around. When Matthew and I think about these children we wonder without adoption who would tuck them into bed at night, dry their tears when they cry, put a band aid on there scraped knees, watch there soccer games and school performances? Who would watch these children grow into adults and do their best to ensure their success in life? Who would ensure they have clean water to drink, nutritious food to eat, a safe environment to live in and an education? When I think about these things, I know we are making the right decision and I want to advocate for adoption. We recognize there is a great loss when children are taken from their birth countries and we don’t underestimate the challenges we will face raising a child of another culture and race. We don’t think adoption is the solution to the poverty in the world, but we do think it might be a small miracle for our family. A small miracle for a child who otherwise may not have had the love of a family, and a small miracle for two people who want to be parents and share their love with a child.

24 comments:

Ricki said...

Excellent post!!
When we first started the adoption process we had a lot of comments (mostly from family) about why we weren't adopting a "white" baby or why we were adopting a "black" baby.
Even after we had finalized our decision with Ethiopia, I still had my mil trying to convince us to change countries. It was very frustrating to say the least.
Her reasoning was it wasn't fair for a black child to grow up in a white community where they may face teasing and racism. My response was "so it's fair then for us to leave them to be "raised" in an orphanage with almost no chance at any kind of life, if they even make it into adulthood". She just shrugged her shoulders.
She is now so excited about the adoption and loves it when I show her other peoples blogs with pictures of their little children. I don't think she questions our choice anymore.
Sorry, that kind of turned into a loooong comment!
Ricki

Alicia said...

When we started the adoption I had a "friend" who was on her second pregnancy say to me "Well at least your lucky that adoption is trendy now" Needless to say that explains the quotation marks on friend!

?? WTF ??

Some peoples mouths are bigger than their brains. Sadly we will have to deal with these people for the rest of our lives ...

The Warren Family said...

Thanks for the posts! It is nice to hear about other people's experiences. I love being a part of this blogging community because there really is comfort in knowing that other people have shared the same experiences!
Thanks so much!!

The Turgeon Expansion said...

I agree, great post! When we told Kris's grandma her response (not to us, but to his aunt) was "a black baby, can't they try anything else"....yep, gotta love those comments. Overall the response has been quite well around us, but I find that lots of people don't comment at all on our adoption, hmmmm, good or bad?

Rhonda

Julie M. said...

Ahhh...the Angelina Jolie comment. That one used to really get my blood boiling, especially if they say "you should just ask her for one of hers she has so many!". The day I found myself literally defending Angelina Jolie & her choice to build a family, I realized I was fighting a useless battle, and to just ignore those people who are so ignorant.

When we first broke the news to family, most were excited, or accepting. Others didn't understand why we didn't adopt from our Province (and felt the need to argue their opinion to us), and one aunt actually said "Give you head a shake girl!". Luckily we knew everyone loved us, and as time went on, people became more & more happy for us, and now the person who argued we should adopt "local" is our biggest advocate! He can't WAIT for Mulu to come home!

So in a way, although it took a while, we were able to educate family & friends (who we decided were worth taking the time to educate), and now everyone we know and care for, completely understands, and are head over heels in love with our son.

Anonymous said...

Well said. People who think in those terms are in the minority. Of all the family and friends that I have spoken to, noone has questioned motive and only see two loving and caring people wanting to make it right for at least one less fortunate child - race or colour never being a factor. There will be difficult times ahead but I have said that you are not only adopting this child, the entire family extended family is. We will be there to help in any way possible.

LOve always, G&G

Tanya said...

Thanks for this post, very well said.

A "friend" of mine told me that it would be better for a black child to die in their home country than to be adopted by a single white chick...

Needless to say they are no longer a friend.

The Warren Family said...

Wow tanya I can't believe someone said that to you. I guess this adoption process also helps to clarify who a person's real friends are.

Janice said...

This was an excellent post because now I realize that we are not alone in having to put up with comments from others who do not feel the same way we do about adoption. Most of our friends are extremely supportive but some have made the comments about international adoption being "trendy" and that's when I go into my explanation about how I've been thinking about international adoption long before Madonna and Angelina started adopting. I also had a real problem with a good friend who, on numerous occasions, asked me about what I would do if there was a health problem with the baby..."But what are you going to do if..." That was really frustrating.

Janice said...

We've been asked by Imagine to make a decision about immigration. I didn't know that we would be asked to do so at this time. Any ideas on what you guys will do. I'm torn. I'm thinking we might choose the route of permanent resident visa to start only because I'm worried about how much time it might take applying for Citizenship right away.

Lisa, Pierre, Marika,Karelle, Yakim, Tarik and Zavier said...

Shannon,

This post really hit home for me….. I remember those comments about Angelina (have only had a few of them but none the less have had them too)… when we started our adoption in 2005, Angelina had just went to Ethiopia to bring Zahara home ! You can just imagine the comments we got when we said we were adopting from Ethiopia…. Everyone kept asking if we would be able to do like her and PICK our children when we go to Ethiopia…. We explained a lot of things back then… and well I really think this post is amazing as it really captures the two sides of adoptions which is really hard for outsiders to understand I think…..with the numbers, we all know that adoption is definetly not a trend and when you are in Ethiopia, you certainly see how adoption is sometimes the only answer to these families… when we worked with CH in Ethiopia and did home visits with the children in our programs, we could not imagine how these families were surviving and when we really thought about it, these are families that are making it and not putting their children up for adoption…really eye opening that's for sure…..

And well sometimes I just catch myself looking at Marika & Karelle….. And wondering what life was like before they came to the orphanage, to the foster home, to us… wondering what would have happened if their family would not have had the strenght to bring them into care, wonder what their family is doing and what they are thinking about at some specific times as we know they loved our girls very much and we know they think of them often and I wonder what they feel when they receive new pictures of the girls that we send through our post placements…..my eyes fill up with water as I write this as often when I look at them, I can't even get myself to THINK of what if they would have not made their way to our hearts… what if we would never have decided to adopt….. We would be missing out on soo much…..and like you said…. We are not doing miracles by adopting that's for sure and we are not saints like everyone keeps telling us, but our girls now have another family and having found each other, they have given us such a special gifts… being a MOM AND DAD and we truly are blessed to have such loving and caring daugthers to share the rest of our lives with….

Anyways I'm getting off subject but I wonder if you mind me cross posting to our blog about some of this… and linking your post as well ? Let me know when you have a minute…

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Your last point is a tough one for me, because I went into the process picturing the same thing - kids in orphanages, kids without a family, kids whose parents have died. (In other words, the Ethiopia of 'There is no me without you'. I was expecting my child to have this type of story, especially as I was requesting an older child. The reality turned out to be different.

I have rewritten this comment about ten times trying to express what I want to say. The best I can do is this: I agree with all you have written. However, adoptive parents need to be mentally prepared for the fact that poverty and economics, not death and disease, may be the reason their future child is relinquished. For me, this has been really, really hard to deal with. I can look at my beloved son, and know that he has opportunities here he would never have had in rural Ethiopia, but I also know that he does not understand at all why he is here with me. In his view, he didn't need a new family, he already had one.

On a lighter note, at the very beginning of my adoption process someone told me "you are just like Angelina Jolie!" I said thanks, I've been working out, and I think my new lip implants look good. I got a blank stare in return. Sarcasm: often a mistake. :)

june

The Warren Family said...

Thank you for the comment Lisa, and yes you can copy/paste or cross link as much as you like (-:

The Warren Family said...

Thanks for the comment June!
I think your comment really speaks to how I felt last night watching the One Family video. It was an eye opener for me to see just how big of an extended family there was who were sad to see this little girl go to America. I couldn't believe that with that many relatives they couldn't find a way to keep her there in Ethiopia. Poverty is a horrible thing, and I know that if we adopt a child from similar circumstanes I am probably going to feel really guilty thinking of everything I am taking the child away from.
I appreciate your honesty, thanks again for the post!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that, the video sounds good. Is it the same Meskerem from There is no me without you?

Also, in many cases, it's one or both parents who are surviving, not just extended family. Sigh.

june

The Warren Family said...

Yes it is Meskerem from "There is no me without you".
I hear what you are saying about often times having surviving parents as well. There is no doubt that would be a difficult thing to explain to a child.
Thanks again for the post. I didn't know I was going to get such a good discussion going from this blog post but I am happy that it did (-:

The Warren Family said...

Thanks to your comment June I corrected my post about the video to try to reflect bettter that it might be more than a loss of extended family for some children. Thanks!

Ranavan said...

Wow, great post and discussion!

We have thought about this alot as well and it was a struggle for us when we first started looking into adoption. We knew we could handle the multi-racial family unit. We were more worried about other people's reaction. Our close family and friends were very supportive...anyone outside of that we will deal with when the time comes. As we have started meeting more people who have adopted and see how they handle situations, we are learning alot about patience and how best to educate people.

I recently told my massage therapist that we were adopting and she said "oh how very Angelina of you" ummmm...hello...seriously! I was so shocked I didn't say anything and now wish I had...hindsight right.

Hope you don't mind but I linked your blog to mine - feel free to do the same.

Rana

Anonymous said...

We have gotten the Angelina comment more times than I can count over the last few years to which I usually reply "well since we started our adoption journey eight years ago, maybe she got the idea from us" but am met with a strange look. We also have an old family friend who often travels out of country. Every time we run into him before he is leaving on a trip, he remarks that he'll keep his eye out for an orphan for us while he's there (and he actually thinks these comments are hilarious).

Anyway, all that to say...loved your post!

hazel said...

This is a great post and there are some wonderful comments.

While I don't have the transracial issues to deal with, I have been compared to Angelina & Madonna. And recently someone asked me why I didn't just go the traditional route to motherhood. Of course, my mind worked too slowly to just tell her to go F*** her self, or (more politely) just tell her that 'the traditional route' is not an option for everyone.

June brought up a good point about many adopted children having birth parents and/or birth family. When I first realized that myself, I was thrown for a bit. Now, whenever I feel unnerved by that thought, I remind myself that most domestic adoptions (within N. America) involve the exact same scenario: BOTH birth parents, siblings, extended family, etc.

Anonymous said...

This has been a really intereting discussion and it's inspired a post of my own...
See ya there!

http://rowanfamilytree.wordpress.com/2008/04/25/legitimate-families/

Nicky

Anonymous said...

Ps> Here's a link to the video people are talking about:

http://www.132main.com/projects/projects_ethiopia.htm

Natalie and Chris said...

What a great post. the transracial part of the adoption was a big part of our decision as we are in a town that does not have many other cultures, however after much discussion we decided that it wasn't about the race it was about the child and as long as we as a family are okay with it and ready to deal with it that is all that matters. We both realize the challenges but are ready and willing to face them once they come along. You said it perfectly in this post. Natalie

Cara said...

Shannon: I read this post a while back but wanted you to know that revisiting this post today has been helpful. We've had some extended family express some inappropriate comments and it's been weighing on my greatly. Thanks and hope to see you soon. Cara