Sunday, March 23, 2008

There is no me without you (Book and Video)


This is a great book written by Melissa Fay Greene, an adoptive mother and an advocate for Ethiopian children (she has adopted four children from Ethiopia).
The book documents the lives of some of the orphans in Ethiopia and the woman who has taken them in. It also follows some of their adoption journeys home to their new forever families. It gives a good background on general Ethiopian history, the AIDS crisis, etc.
If any friends or family would like to borrow it just let me know (I bought an extra copy to pass around).

Here is a link to a talk Melissa Fay Greene did for the book (it is a little long but really informative!!) - Just click on the picture below and it will take you to the video on Fora TV -

Note: Once at Fora TV there is a list to the right of the video that breaks the talk into different topics, you can skip ahead to what interests you if you want.

VIDEO

View Rescuing Africa's Children on FORA.tv

(click on the picture for the video)

You can also visit her website at: there is no me without you
You can visit her blog at: Melissa Fay Greene's Blog
You can visit a list of articles she has written here (the most recent is from Jan. 08' and talks about her taking her daughter Helen back to Ethiopia to visit her birth country): Articles

4 comments:

Tanya said...

I loved this book as well.

It helped me to be open to an older child adoption for my family.

I have lent my hardcover copy out, I think I will ask for it back, and get a paperback copy to lend to friends and family!

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing book. We bought copies to give all of our family and close friends at Christmas with a note inside asking them to call us when they finished reading it. When they called, we announced to them that after reading the book, we decided to change our child request from a baby girl to siblings 0-4 years. We figured that they would take the news better after reading the book and we were right. Now they are all passing their copies along so hopefully, many more people will become educated about this.

Good luck with the rest of your home study!

Lisa said...

Hey there! I am so glad that you left a comment on my blog! Now I have yours saved in my favourites! Can't wait to have a good look at your journey! This is one of my all time fav books too. I was fortunate enough to hear her speak at a fund raiser, and shake her hand.. I promptly burst into tears upon meeting her.

Wow.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming over to check out my blog. I would be happy to have you add a link from yours to mine. I will do the same but it will take me a week or two. I look forward reading about your journey. What province are you in? We are just outside of Edmonton in Alberta.