Monday, January 25, 2010

"Help I'm Alive" / Book Review

I was watching the "Canada for Haiti" show online last night (I missed it on Friday)...this Metric performance is amazing! I never really liked this song much on the radio but I love this version. I think it really captures the feeling of how tough and resilient humans are, and how fragile they are all at the same time.


I also heard yesterday that Canadian's have now raised over $60 million dollars and that our government has removed the $50 million cap so they will be matching all donations made. What great news...I hope the momentum continues.

. "Help I'm Alive" Metric


Just finished this book as well. I don't want to give to much away but it is the story of two women living in Afganistan. It was a great book. It was a little window into what life might be like for a woman in Afganistan from about 1960 to about present day. I couldn't put it down. It has highlighted for me again just how important women's rights issues continue to be in this world.

4 comments:

Janice said...

Hi Shannon,

My husband is a big Metric fan and I really like this song. It is a great live version.

I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns. I read it last March Break while we were on vacation and it was so hard to put down. I didn't think I would like it as much as Kite Runner but I liked it more.

Just got back from NYC and it was a great distraction from waiting for "the call" back to jumping every time the phone rings this week.

Janice

hazel said...

GO CANADA!!

If you haven't yet, you might enjoy 'Reading Lolita in Tehran' - it's an amazing memoir.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ruth Branson said...

I loved both A Thousand SPlendid Sons and the Kite Runner!

THanks for posting about books -always a favourite of mine!

Ruth
www.ruths-rambles.blogspot.com