Thursday, January 15, 2009

Three Cups of Tea


I noticed I have been posting a little less this month. I have to admit it is because I have been in a bit of a funk when it comes to thinking about our adoption, with the increasing wait times and everything. So I have tried to give myself some time away from thinking about it so much by not going on the computer all the time (which is really a funny thing to say because I still think about it all the time anyways).

I just finished reading a book I got for Christmas and it was really good! Watch the video below if you are interested. It is about an American who has been building schools in poor and war torn areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan for a number of years now. What he is doing is really inspiring. We read so much about how people are trying to fight the terror in that part of the world with bombs and guns, and then there is a story about this guy who is trying to do his part with books and by educating girls. I hope some of those millions of dollars being spent on the war by countries like the USA and Canada can find their way to these kinds of projects. Maybe then there wouldn't be so much hate when the next generation of children grow up.

I love good quotes from books (if you haven't already noticed - hehe)....this book is about him following his heart despite all of the obstacles he encountered and living out his dream to help the children in that part of the world.

"When your heart speaks, take good notes" Judith Campbell

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." Persian Proverb



Visist his website at https://www.ikat.org/

4 comments:

Cara said...

Great post. Thanks for posting the video link too. What a wonderful story!

Lisa, Pierre, Marika,Karelle, Yakim, Tarik and Zavier said...

Thinking of you Shannon and so hope that your wait ends soon....

I also wanted to thank you for the book reviews as with three kids and looking after more I definetly don't have much time to read so its nice to get feedbacks on books before I buy and read them !

Lisa

Chad, Laura, Sara and Seth said...

I've been thinking about you and wondering where you have been - It's amazing how much you start to depend on people you have not even met. Missed ya.

Laura

Anonymous said...

I have heard really good things about the book and this reminded me that I wanted to write it down on my "want to read" list.