Friday, January 9, 2009

Tooth on the Roof

I really love finding books for kids that celebrate the interesting way people do things in different parts of the world. This one we found at Ten Thousand Villages (I love that store). It is a kids book that shows tooth traditions from around the world. Very cool, but Ethiopia wasn't featured in it. Hmmm I wonder what kids do there when they lose a tooth? Anyone know??
In a lot of countries they throw their tooth on the roof, feed it to a dog, leave it for a mouse and so on...
If you know of any other around the world type books like this let me know, I think I will start a collection.

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

I bought that book for my daughter for Christmas. I also bought another book from there called "Children around the World". Ethiopia is not in there either but Tanzania and China(where my daughter is from) and many other places...really cute book! I love Ten Thousand Villages as well. I bought alot of my Christmas gifts from there this year.

Chad, Laura, Sara and Seth said...

Oh, I love that. Thanks for sharing. I agree, Ten Thousand Villages is fantastic, but I haven't been in a while, thanks for the reminder, I am going to stop in soon.

Laura

Adam said...

We bought this book before Christmas and love it!!

Anonymous said...

My son loves this book. In Ethiopia, they throw their tooth on the roof, and a bird will come and take it away and bring the new one. There is a song or rhyme they sing too, which my son knew when he first came home but has since forgotten.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, another fun one is "This is the way we go to school" by Edith Baer. "Families: Around the world, 1 kid at a time" by Ommer is great too but I think it's out of print now.

The Mannings said...

Glad you are a fan of Villages -that's where i work!!! I like that book too - but don't have my own yet. Are you going to the Christmas party in Cambridge next week? Hope to meet you then!
Brenda

The Warren Family said...

No sorry, wont be going to Cambridge this time )-:

The Warren Family said...

Thanks for sharing..it is neat to hear about what they do in Ethiopia!!

shaunak said...

All of the books by Ifeoma Onyefulu describe village life and traditions in Africa. Lots of wonderful photos.
Oxfam also has a series of 4 books of world-show-and-tell: Playtime, Hair, Bicycles, Homes. They are great.
There is also a series of books by Maya Ajmere and John Ivanko - 2 of which are "To be a kid" and "To be an artist". They also have beautiful phos of children around the world.
"I Lost My Tooth In Africa" by Penda Diakite is a story written by a young girl and illustrated by her father. Lovely.
For older children/adults I recommend:How People Live (DK Publishing); Children Just Like Me(also DK publishing with UNICEF); A Faith Like Mine and A Life LIke Mine (again, DK publishing).
Sorry about the long list - this is my favourite subject!!

The Warren Family said...

Thanks for the awesome book suggestions!! This is great!!! I am adding them to my wish list. We save up airmiles and then cash them in for money at chapters...I can't wait to get some of these books.