Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a nice New Year celebration!! I hope 2009 is a good year and many of us get to meet our little ones and become forever families.

We are going out tonight for Ethiopian food - Yum! I can't wait!!

I tried only once so far to make an Ethiopian dish at home and it turned out very bad. I couldn't help but laugh because it really was nothing like the doro watt I have had when we go out for dinner.

Does anyone have any good Ethiopian recipes they would like to share in the comment section??


We found a couple places in London Ontario where you can buy injera (which is the Ethiopian bread) already made, so I have some in the freezer just waiting for me to make something to eat with it.

You can get Teff flour at most Bulk Barns - go figure!
and you can get ready made injera in London Ontario at the BigBee Variety store, or the variety store on Adelaide St N (sorry I forget the name).

10 comments:

The Turgeon Expansion said...

Hey,

Check out Shannon's blog:

http://12941kilometersofredtape.blogspot.com/

She has recipe cards with Ethiopian food on them. So great!!

Dancin' Momma said...

I have a few recipe's that I like, may favourite is Chickpea Wat. Rowan Tree has a number of recipe's here: http://rowanfamilytree.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/ethiopianrecipes.pdf

Anonymous said...

http://www.marga.org/food/recipes/dorowat.html

This is the doro wat recipe I use, with a few variations. I cut down on the spiced butter, I use chicken legs and thighs not a whole chicken, and the berbere blend I have is very spicy so I use probably 1/4 cup not 1 cup.

Anonymous said...

I can't help with the recipes but I wanted to say Happy New Year and say how lucky you are that in Ontario with such a large Ethiopian population, you can readily get Teff flour and injera!

Janice said...

The chickpea wat sounds really good to me. It's the one I thought I would try for my first time.

Good luck next time.

The Warren Family said...

Thanks s much for all of the awesome feedback!! I am going to be a busy bee in the kitchen!!

Carol said...

http://www.kitchenchick.com/2005/09/imbb_19_shiro_a.html

My favourite: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ethiopian-Cabbage-Dish/Detail.aspx

Haven't tried these but they look very nicely northamericanized: http://rowanfamilytree.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/ethiopianrecipes.pdf

It's worth it to make a batch of this, the recipes taste so much better and it keeps in the fridge or freezer for ages: http://ethiopia.adoptionblogs.com/weblogs/recipe-niter-kibbeh

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/africa/ethiopian/
You can combine a couple of the Doro Wett recipes and make your own version, I like to add tomatoe paste and reduce the berberre, it makes it so the little one can enjoy too!

An easy peasy one, but use a grilling steak, it's less tough. http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/fetch-recipe.php?rid=misc-tibs-wet

Good books: The Soul of a new cuisine
The Recipe of Love: Ethiopian Cookbook

Have fun! Stink like onions!

That's actually the trick apparently, cook the onions REALLY slowly for ages, over 30 min until they are brown mush, it thickens the sauce in the Doro wett.

The Warren Family said...

Thanks so much Carol for the great feedback!! I can't wait to try some of these new recipes!! Do you have a blog?? I would love to check it out. I hope you see this msg!

Alicia said...

I have successfully made Atakilt Wat (Cabbage), Doro Wat, Chickpea Wat, and Shrio. Let me know (via email) if you want any of the links to these recipes. I can see I am late to the party and lots of people have left info for you already.

If you could find out the name of the store on Adelaide St N I'd love to know. My parents live at Highbury and Fanshawe. Also what else Ethiopian do they sell there?

THANKS!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.