Sunday, September 7, 2008

Quote/Poem I like


Song of the Waiting Mother

I'm pregnant, but my tummy isn't growing.
And no one ever calls me "Little Mom."
The public simply isn't overflowing
With questions that I'd handle with aplomb.
.
There are no special clothes to mark my waiting.
Nobody stops and smiles as I pass by.
The absence of a due-date is frustrating
And looking at the nursery makes me cry.
.
When I'm overdue no one will worry.
The phone won't ring and ring as friends check in.
I can't induce my labor in a hurry,
My new life as a parent to begin.
.
Adoption is a worrisome endeavor,
And waiting all alone is not much fun.
To be "with child" a year seems like forever.
Dear God, we're ready! Please send us our little one!
.

3 comments:

Janice said...

It's been a while since I've had the time to check out your blog and leave a comment. I am LOVING your blog. Every entry is of interest. Thank you for all the great posts, reading recommendations, etc.

I like this poem and oddly enough find myself realizing that I don't think of myself as being "pregnant" or should I say expecting a baby until I am in the presence of other pregnant women getting lots of attention and question, etc. It's at those times that I realize you absolutely don't get the same kind of attention as when you are pregnant. It's not so nice but at least once the babies are with us it will have been all worth it and from now on we know we will give parents waiting to adopt all the attention they deserve.

Chad, Laura, Sara and Seth said...

To add to Janice's comment...Sometimes I wish when I walk by a pregnant woman I could blurt out "I'm pregnant too you know, due any day now!" :)

I often think these days that, in deed, our babies exist - whether in the womb or in the world. This makes me smile...

Laura

The Warren Family said...

Thank you for the comments.

I think it is interesting to note the differences in how an expecting mom is treated with adoption vs. pregnancy. I have never been pregnant to be able to compare for myself, but am just going on what other people tell me I am missing out on - ie. the comments you get in public etc.

It makes me smile as well Laura to think about our babies existing somewhere out there. It is nice as well to have a network of blogs like this where you can share your thoughts with other expecting adoptive families who get what it feels like to be waiting and are just as excited for each other.