Saturday, September 20, 2008

Becoming a Family


I think I have said this before and it is true, one of the good things about this long waiting process is that it gives you lots of time to read, research and prepare (on the flip side I can think of hundreds of things I don't like about all this waiting - haha).
This was my most recent read on adoption. This book was good for an overview of the issues and strategies a parent should know about for promoting healthy attachments with adopted children. However, it did leave me feeling that I should find a good second book with a bit more detail and more practical suggestions. Theory is good to know but what I really want are a lots of practical suggestions. If anyone has any good suggestions for a book like this let me know and thanks in advance!

3 comments:

Lisa, Pierre, Marika,Karelle, Yakim, Tarik and Zavier said...

I had never read this book and always wondered if it was worth it...

I have LOVED the following book for EVERYTHING.. it was my best read as far as adoption book for practical suggestions and it talks about everything :)

Adoption Parenting: Creating a Toolbox, Building Connections

and it came out in 2006 so pretty recent.

Maybe you have already read it as well !

Lisa

Anonymous said...

And.... I was hopping over from Bloglines to recommend my favourite book only to discover Lisa beat me to it. :) That is the one book I recommend that everyone buy instead of borrow. It's excellent.

june

The Warren Family said...

Thanks so much for the suggestions! We just got a chapters gift card yesterday for our anniversary so I will go out and get this book.
Thanks again!