This is an interview with Dambisa Moyo that I just watched online. It is a bit long (34min) but she shares a very interesting perspective of why she thinks aid in Africa has done more harm than good. This past summer on CBC radio I heard her having a debate with Steven Lewis who is very pro-aid. I'm not sure I know what to think, it seems like a very complex issue and there are very good points being made on both sides. I guess if the solution to poverty was going to be easy they would have had it sorted out by now.
That was really interesting. I wish I could have heard the debate with Stephen Lewis. It is so hugely complicated. I know this sounds simplistic but it seems that aid (whether it be from the work of the Stephen Lewis Foundation or Bono's Red campaingn, etc.) must be there in the short term as the powers that be work toward long term sustainability and better lives for all living in Africa.
Great update on the BDO site in regards to the recent trip to Ethiopia. It puts a smile on my face.
We have created this blog for our friends, family, and others interested in adoption. We invite you to follow our journey to Ethiopia where we will go from being a couple to a family of three!
shmcnaughton@hotmail.com
2 comments:
Hi Shannon,
That was really interesting. I wish I could have heard the debate with Stephen Lewis. It is so hugely complicated. I know this sounds simplistic but it seems that aid (whether it be from the work of the Stephen Lewis Foundation or Bono's Red campaingn, etc.) must be there in the short term as the powers that be work toward long term sustainability and better lives for all living in Africa.
Great update on the BDO site in regards to the recent trip to Ethiopia. It puts a smile on my face.
I agree with you Janice 100%
Post a Comment