Sunday, February 8, 2009

This and that

Last weekend I met up with Matthew in Toronto. He is an elementary school teacher and part of his job is being the librarian. On Thurs and Friday he was at a librarian conference (I know, sounds like it would have been wild - haha). But he picked up some very cool books from Another Story Bookshop (they are located in Toronto - but I think you can find most of these on Amazon as well) for a Black History Month Display at his school. The books are shown above and they are all kid's books. How cool that they have books about Obama for kids. The black Heritage one in the picture is about the Canadian experience - very cool as well. The ones on the left are for younger kids and the ones on the far right are simple novels for older kids. Growing up I don't remember seeing these kinds of books in my school, what a neat find.
I was talking about finishing the book "Three cups of tea" a few posts back...well isn't this cool they have a children's version of the novel (top right) and a version for younger kids (top left picture book).We went to the "Another Story Bookshop" after so I could check it out and I was in heaven! So many books on social issues, diversity, different cultures and customs - for kids and adults. Above are the ones I picked out and bought. The Nelson Mandela one on the right is a book of African Tales for Kids, the book about becoming a Canadian was also very neat. 'This is the dream' was my favourite find. Checking out the Art Gallery of Ontario.
Go Raptors Go!! ... they lost )-:

Matty keep those ears warm - don't forget to wear your ear bags!! haha
Can you spot the CN tower?

Jeremy Fisher
Hannah Georgas - I hadn't heard of her until the concert. Sounds a little like Feist.

Check out her songs here: www.hannahgeorgas.com

4 comments:

The Turgeon Expansion said...

Great book finds! They had NOTHING like that when I was little. And I'm just about to start 3 Cups of Tea, thanks for the tip :)

lisa said...

thought i would say
cool music.
thoughts from countrychick

Ranavan said...

we have very similar taste in music - i love this gal thanks for introducing me to her.

Janice said...

What great book finds. Sounds like a good time in TO and a nice way to spend time in the sometimes difficult month of Feb.