Monday, July 21, 2008

A long way gone

I finished reading this book a few months ago but wanted to take the time to recommend it on my blog. It is the true story of Ishmael Beah who was a child soldier in Sierra Leone. It is a book about his life as a child in the war that puts a human face to the expierence of being a child soldier. It is a story that explaines how he ended up 'a long way gone' from his own humanity and his later struggle to regain it.

It is a bit graphic at times, but I think it is an important story. UNICEF estimates that today more than 250,000 children are being exploited in armed conflicts.

Below is a video of Ishmael on The Hour.






3 comments:

Chad, Laura, Sara and Seth said...

Powerful. Thank you.

Laura

hazel said...

I don't think I realized how global this problem is - thanks for posting this video.

Janice said...

I loved this book while I was reading it but I had some pretty bad dreams after I had finished it. Hard to believe what human beings can endure.