Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Hospital by the River


I got up early Monday morning to go to work, and just as I was about to leave I started feeling really sick to my stomach. I ended up staying home and not being able to keep any food down all morning. Poor Matthew probably wished he was back at work and not on summer holidays because I kept bugging him to get me some sprite, some soda crackers, some gravol ...please come and rub my back.... I am a big baby! I think part of me recognized an opportunity to be sucked up and went for it (he has the summer off because he works as a teacher - lucky bugger, well lucky except for this past Monday). Anyway between spells of nausea I spent the day reading and sleeping. I managed to finish this book which I had started last week.

I must admit I have been naive because I had no idea women in the world have been suffering through such tragic experiences trying to give birth to children. It is no wonder maternal and infant mortality rates are so high! Apparently it is not uncommon for women to be in labour up to even 6 days with no access to a hospital. In these cases the baby ends up dying inside of the mother, and if she survives it and is finally able to give birth, she is left with a lot of internal damage. It is so sad to think that if that same woman was here she would have a c-section and her baby would survive and have a chance at life. If this isn't bad enough these women often become outcasts in their communities and their husbands often leave them because the fistula that is left allows a continual dripping of urine or feces which is offensive.

Is it just me or do women really get the short end of the stick a lot of times? It was great to read a story about how women are being empowered. This book tells the story of a couple from Australia who open a hospital where they offer hope and a new life to these women. I thought this book also did a good job of explaining the change in government between Haile Selassie and the Dergue.

Needless to say I feel pretty silly for being such a whimp about feeling sick. I can't believe how much I take for granted the access to medical care we have here. Anyways, if you get the chance this is another great read. I heard they also have finished a documentary about the hospital, has anyone seen that?

5 comments:

The Carmodys said...

Sounds like a good book. We sure are blessed to live in Canada aren't we?

I hope you're feeling better!

k

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a good book..thanks for recommending it! Now my recommedation to you...

My FAVOURTIE book related to Transracial adoption is 'In Their Own Voices: Adoptees tell their stories'. It's written by Rita J. Simon and Rhonda Roorda.
It is a series of interveiws with about 20 or so adult adoptees who are black and were adopted into white families in the states. Each interview goes in different directions depending on the answers given, but they are always asked in some form or another 'Do you agree with Transracial adoption?', 'are you glad you were adopted?', 'What did your parents do that really helped you through the struggles?', 'What do you wish your parents had done differently?'. It was really eye opeing to me. I've read it 3 times now and plan to keep reading it periodically. Since it is actual adoptees speaking...I much rather listen to their words of wisdom than someone with a PHD who is just making an educated guess about how they would feel.
The book 'I'm chocolate, you are vanilla' helps you figure out ways to approach the issue of race with your kids an dhow to go about it.

Stephanie said...

Shannon,

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog! If my memory serves me correct you live in London right? If you could email me privately at slebold@rogers.com I would love to see if we could get together sometime soon!

Steph :-)

Anonymous said...

My secret pal got me this bok a year or so ago, and I found it really interesting. It's a foreigner's view of Ethiopia.. or rather, a lady who makes Ethiopia her home. It also does make a person prety grateful for the medical services and lack of stigmas we have here in Canada.
Nicky

hazel said...

I was talking with a friend the other night about the plight of women around the world and how we here in N. America have no business complaining about our lives.