Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Different Perspective

Thank you to everyone who responded to my last post (online or otherwise).
I am changing my perspective. There are no dumb, stupid or silly questions. Every question opens up an opportunity to share knowledge and educate people more about adoption. I really feel like I was the silly one for not seeing that more clearly when I wrote the last post.
Live and learn.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People are often taken aback when they hear we're adopting from Ethiopia. We've gotten a lot of 'Why???' and I find that a bit irritating. No one would say 'Why' if I told them I was pregnant.

But I agree that if I take it as an opportunity to educate, it can turn into a good conversation. I think that many people just blurt out the first thing without thinking it through and that's why we get so many so called 'dumb, stupid or silly' comments. They lose the whole inside voice/outside voice thing!

Cara said...

It's hard sometimes. I am just at the point of starting to tell people at work. I've had some very positive experiences telling family and close friends. But there have been a few negatives too. In my head I come up with all of these come back lines but at the end of the day I don't use them because I think it is just that people are so new to the concept. I have to remind myself that I've had a good six months of thinking about all the issues, and the person I am speaking to has had all of five seconds. The one person who made the "oh you're getting a baby like Angeli Joli did" is actually a huge supporter and is giving me all of her baby stuff (crib, playpen, clothes).