Monday, May 19, 2008

Long Weekend

I hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend. Friday we decided we had nothing planned so why not drive to Kitchener and try "AM Africa" for dinner. The Ethiopian woman who runs this restaurant was very nice and our meal was really yummy. You can check out their menu here if you are interested. She will even do a coffee ceremony if you call in advance and ask.





This is a picture of Matthew enjoying his Ethiopian food and beer. They had three different types of Ethiopian beer and he had to try just one of each!

They also sell a number of different spices and other things there.



We picked up a bit of Shuro (above) and green Ethiopian coffee beans (below).



Then on Sat. we went to an Ethiopian culture and language workshop put on by our agency "Imagine Adoption" in Cambridge. The more I learn about Ethiopia I am just fascinated by what an interesting country it is. Amharic is also a very interesting language. The Ethiopian lady who was facilitating the session had us practice saying the different phonetic sounds of their alphabet and they even have a sound that is used that sounds like a "click".

It has been a grey and rainy weekend so we didn't get as much as we wanted done outside. We have some plants we want to put in but we are going to wait because it is still a bit cool.




I will try to post a little bit of what I learned from the workshop on the blog over the course of the week. I hope everyone enjoys their holiday Monday.

2 comments:

Cara said...

Enjoyed your post. My sister, mom and I have talked about doing an outing to AM Africa. Sounds like it'll be worth the trip! Cara

Janice said...

I'm jealous that you got to go that workshop (to far away for us).
Can't wait to hear more about the experience.
Janice