Friday, March 6, 2009

Canada Reads


I was having a bit of a pitty party tonight and had a big long post written up but I decided to delete it. The short version is we are both feeling a bit numb, discouraged and grumpy about the uncertainty of our lives. Tonight we had a fight about a fork at dinner time (I brought one to the table, Matthew said it was his, I said it was mine, he said I took it from him, I stood firm that I had it first). We ended up fighting for about five minutes and then had a good laugh at each other about how ridiculous we were being. I think we just needed a way to vent our frustration, we also need a holiday!

On a different note "The Book of Negroes" (called "Someone Knows My Name" in the USA) won CBC's Canada Reads today -wooho! I posted about this book earlier this year and it was by far the best book I have read all year. I know I have recommended a few books on this blog but if you read any of them I hope you pick this one up. So if you are waiting for a referral and wanting to pass some time this book would be my suggestion.

PS. it was my fork first (just had to sneak in the final word). hehe, I can grow up now.

5 comments:

lyndsey said...

we can totally relate, we sometimes argue about nothing then realize it is just 'adoption' frustration..... We are human after all!!! Having Zero control over something this important can be overwhelming at times. It would be easier if it didn't take SOOOOO long. The good news is you laughed in the end, which you both probably REALLY needed.

andrea said...

So happy to know about other people in my generation who listen to CBC! I also read The Book of Negroes this past year and thought it was amazing - interesting about the rest of the world thinking they couldn't somehow use the original title.

Had my own meltdown today... totally understand! A :-)

Anonymous said...

My daughter(17)is reading that book for school and got to meet the author. I read it about a year ago and loved it.

Anonymous said...

in the words of U2..

Is it true that perfect love drives out all fear?
The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear
But change of heart comes slow...
It's not a hill it's a mountain
As you start out the climb
You see for me I've been shoutin
But we're gonna make it all the way to the light
But I know I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight

seems fitting.. lol
thank god eating with injura does not require forks!

The Warren Family said...

Thanks for the comments guys,
glad you don't think I am going nuts! hehe...good point, if we eat Ethiopian food more we wont have to worry about forks. thats funny!